William (Bill) T. Ruppert
Owns and manages the St. Louis office of National Nursery Products (NNP), a horticultural sales, marketing and consulting company representing regional and national wholesale growers of ornamental and environmental landscape plants.
Prior to assuming his position with National Nursery Products in 1990, Bill was employed by the University of Missouri serving a management role coordinating the landscape redevelopment and enhancement of the University of Missouri – Columbia campus which was a large part of (then) Chancellor Barbara S. Uehling’s campus beautification initiative..
Graduated from the University of Missouri - Columbia in 1980 with a BS from the College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources Horticulture program with a concentration in ornamental horticulture and landscape design.
As a student in the Horticulture program, Bill coordinated the planning, design, funding acquisition,construction development, and initial maintenance of the Woodland and Floral Gardens, a mini-botanic garden formerly located on the grounds of the MU Agriculture Building.
Bill continues to participate in adult education programs regarding information technology systems, ecological uses of horticultural plants and frequently attends a variety of professional green industry symposiums, lectures and workshops.
Bill's mantra: "The world is run by those who show up AND PARTICIPATE."
Active leadership participation in professional and civic organizations includes:
- President (2003-2005) - Horticulture Co-op of Metro St. Louis
- Chair (2003 & 2005) - Hort Co-op St. Louis Garden Symposium
- Executive Director (2006-2014) - Horticulture Co-op of Metro St. Louis
- President (2003-2004) - Landscape and Nursery Association of Greater St. Louis (LNAGSL)
- Treasurer (2005-2016) - Landscape and Nursery Association of Greater St. Louis (LNAGSL)
- Board Member (2014-2016) - Missouri Turf and Ornamental Council (MoTOC)
- Chair (2014-2015) - A Prospectus for Unifying Missouri Green Industries, a conversation among the Missouri Landscape and Nursery Association and Missouri Turf and Ornamental Council
- Co-Chair (2016) - Missouri Green Industry Alliance (MoGIA) Steering Committee
- Member (2013-2016) - St. Louis Science Center Agriculture Gallery Exhibit Advisory Committee
- Member (2016-present) - St. Louis Science Center GROW Exhibit Advisory Committee
- Co-Chair - 2009 Perennial Plant Association Symposium St. Louis Site Committee
- Member (2011-2012) - Perennial Plant Association Environmental Committee
- Member (2016-present) - Perennial Plant Association Marketing Committee
- Advisor (2007-2011) - Gateway Green Industry Conference (Collinsville, IL) Planning Committee
- Member (2014-present) - Missouri Green Industry Conference (MoGIC) (St. Charles, MO) Board of Directors on behalf of the Missouri Landscape and Nursery Association
- Member (1992-present) - St. Louis Community College @ Meramec Horticulture Program Advisory Board
- Student Mentor (2007-present) - University of Missouri College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources Career Center Connections
- Region At-Large Board Member (2015-present) - University of Missouri College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources Alumni Association
- Member (2016-present) - University of Missouri St. Louis County Extension Council
- Member (2011-2012) - Turf and Ornamental Green Industry Steering Committee, a committee of the University of Missouri College of Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources
- Member (2000-present) - Grow Native!, a program of the Missouri Prairie Foundation
- Member (2011-2012) - Grow Native! Transition Task Force
- Member (2012-present) - Grow Native!Committee, a Committee of the Missouri Prairie Foundation
- Chair (2015-present) - Grow Native! Invasive Exotic Plant Species Task Force
- Member (2015-present) - St. Louis Eclipse 2017 Task Force
- Member (2008-2011) - ShowMe Rain Gardens Advisory Committee
- Member (2008-2009) - MSD Stormwater Best Management Practices (BMP) Landscape Guideline Taskforce
- Member (2001, 2003, 2005, 2011, 2013) - Chicago Botanic Garden Rare Affair Selection Committee
- Member (2003-2012) - Plants of Merit Plant Selection and Industry Committee, a program of the Missouri Botanical Garden, Powell Gardens, Mizzou Botanic Garden, University of Missouri Extension, St. Louis Community College at Meramec, Missouri Landscape and Nursery Association and Illinois Green Industry Association
- Member (2003-present) - Gateway Greening Board of Directors
- Chair (2016-2017) - Gateway Greening Board of Directors
- Chair (2005-2012) - Gateway Greening Committees: Civic Greening and Marketing & Public Relations
- Member (2008-2011) - Missouri Botanical Garden Horticulture Advisory Committee
- Member (2004-2005) - Operation Brightside Advisory Committee
- Member (2005-2006) - St. Louis Honeysuckle Consortium
- Member (2003-2009) - City of Kirkwood Urban Forestry Commission
- Chair (2007-2009) - City of Kirkwood Urban Forestry Commission
- Member (2007-present) - Friends of the Mizzou Botanic Garden Board (Columbia, MO)
- Chairman (2016-present) - Friends of the Mizzou Botanic Garden Board (Columbia, MO)
- Member (2015-present) - St. Louis County Project Pollinator Advisory Committee
- Founder/Coordinator (2004-present) - Kirkwood in BLOOM
- Co-Coordinator - 2007 America in Bloom Kirkwood Steering Committee
- Co-Chair - 2010 America in Bloom Symposium and Awards Program Site Committee
- Advisor (2005-2011) - Downtown Kirkwood SBD Enhancement Committee
- Advisor (2008-present) - Kirkwood Living Green, a Kirkwood citizens group dedicated to promote, demonstrate, and celebrate lifestyle choices that protect and conserve natural resources
- Member (2010-present) - 50 Trees! Planning Committee, a Kirkwood citizen's initiative to plant and assist care for public trees along Kirkwood's streets, rekindling the original spirit and celebrating the heritage of the Greentree Festival
- Kirkwood Representative (2009-2010) - Deer Creek Watershed Friends Creek Naming Committee
- Vice President (2006) - Kirkwood Garden Club
- Citizen Coordinator - Mel Bay: A Tribute to the Kirkwoodian Who Taught the World to Play Guitar
- Honorary Chair - 2011 U City in Bloom Garden Tour
- In addition to professional horticultural activities, enjoys an active gardening hobby including the collection and evaluation of recently introduced plants at Ruppert Gardens located in Kirkwood, Missouri. Special interest is given to combining unique and tough companion annual varieties with a diverse collection of hardy perennials and ornamental shrubs.
- Raising and caring for a flock of egg producing hens at the Ruppert Ranch.
- Managing Fox Hollow Forest, a rural nature preserve located along the Missouri River corridor in southern Boone County, Missouri.
- Missouri, Illinois and local history.
- Experiencing a wide variety of music genres and pursuing a series of tributes to the legacy of the man who taught the world to play guitar, the late Kirkwoodian Mr. Mel Bay.
- Reading biographical information about people who have made significant contributions to our world.
- Travel and discovery.
National Nursery Products - St. Louis is a proud member
of these professional trade organizations: